Woman Center “Light Steps” in Shkodra
01/02/2018 - 30/01/2021
To reinforce the role of women civil society in north of Albania as drivers of change at public level
Summary of the Project
The Project intended to support women civil society in northern Albania. In order to achieve this goals, the Project strengthened the capacity of local women associations and groups to assess the needs and resources of their community and territory, to mobilize them, make new proposals and establish a more effective dialogue with local institutions to affect their public policies. This was done through:
- A collective work to identify weak and strong points on their capacity and training for women associations on principles and instruments of advocacy, good governance and accountability and on strategies to elaborate participated agenda in a gender and women rights perspective;
- The creation of women community groups in every municipality to improve their capacity to be more active in the area;
- Supporting women’s associations and groups to mobilise women groups to elaborate an alternative agenda of women per each municipality where the vision and needs of women can be fully represented and were presented at the public level to the key persons of municipalities. This increased the capacity of local women associations to engage with local institutions to promote new public policies in favour of women rights and gender equality specifically with:
- A training of personnel of municipalities on public policies in a gender perspective;
- The creation of inter-institutional tables between representants of women associations and groups and representatives of municipalities will be more effective;
- An agreement in every municipality to implement a part of the women agenda;
- The promotion of gender units for enhancing gender equality and women’s rights;
- Preparation and started-up of the call for grants to implement the agreement by the local women associations who will win the grants
- Final conference.
- Identification of women associations to be involved in the project and collective work with women associations to identify weak and strong points on their capacity to advocate good governance and accountability on women rights and gender equality;
- Training for women associations on principles and instruments of advocacy, good governance and accountability and on strategies to elaborate participated agenda in a gender and women rights perspective;
- Creation of women community groups in every municipality to be involved by the women associations;
- Organisation of communitarian sessions (4 sessions for each municipalities) where women’s associations mobilise the enlarged women groups to analyse public policies from a gender and women’s rights perspective;
- Organisation of follow up communitarian sessions (6 sessions for each municipalities) to elaborate an alternative agenda of women per each municipality; A.1.1.6.Public initiatives to present at community level the agenda of women to collect more information and suggestions.
- Training of personnel of municipalities on public policies in a gender perspective;
- Meetings with local municipalities for the creation of inter-institutional tables where to present the analysis of public policies and the agenda of women;
- Elaboration of an agreement in every municipality to implement part of the agenda through sub-grants;
- Implementation in the three municipalities of a Gender Unit for enhancing public policies on gender equality and women’ rights;
- Preparation, start-up and implementation of the call for grants to implement the agreement and their follow up;
- Presentation of final results at national level involving women civil society and national institutions.
- Local women associations have a strengthened capacity for mobilization, advocacy, project development, networking and support their dialogue with local institutions to promote new public policies in favour of women rights and gender equality.
- The three Municipalities involved have created new instruments to improve public policies in favour of women rights and gender equity