- Fondazione Istituto Tecnico Superiore per la Mobilita Sostenibile nei Settori Trasporti Marittimi e della Pesca
- Accademia Italiana Della Marina Mercantile in Comando Generale del Corpo delle Capitanerie di Porto-Guardia Costiera
- EV ILVO
- Ministero delle Politiche Agricole Alimentari e Forestali
November 2018 - April 2022
This project aims to increase the contribution of the fisheries sector to the economic development of Albania by improving the management and protection of fishery resources in line with the EU Common Fishery Policy.
Summary of the Project
Fisheries in Albania represent an important socio-economic sector, with the potential to be further exploited through formulation and adoption of appropriate policies sustained by efficient investments.
Marine fishing provides more than 52% of the catch and 61% of the value with coastal lagoons and inland waters yielding respectively 21% of the catch but only 13% of the value. Aquaculture has been increasing in importance with 27% of the catch and 26% of the value.
The project aims to support the fishery administration to acquire the capacity to design, implement, monitor and enforce the policy measures and regulations as drawn in the strategic documents. Establishment of administrative capacities in line with the overall public administration reform agenda will go along with encouraging of investments to improve the performance of fishing fleet. Besides strengthening the administrative powers, the protection of marine resources is also ensured by increasing public awareness.
- Revising the existing legislation concerning fisheries and make the necessary updates to align it with the EU Common Fisheries Policy
- Preparing the plan on the Allocated Zones for Aquaculture (AZA) based on the relevant guidelines and methodologies
- Setting up the capacity to collect socio-economic data and carry out economic analysis in the fisheries sector
- Establishing the needs for scientific data and carrying out stock assessment exercises based on a clear plan and budget
- Carrying out training for relevant staff in order to provide reliable catch statistics to be used in the preparation of management plans
- Assessing the current databases and information systems, proposing necessary modifications and providing training for staff on their use
- Preparing reliable management plans in line with stock assessment data
- Carrying out a functional analysis on the institutions involved directly or indirectly in the enforcement of the legislation in the sector; proposing the necessary legal and operational arrangements regarding coordination of action
- Providing training to fishery inspectors and administrators (fishery administration staff) with regard to inspection tasks, communication with other involved institutions and reporting
- Assessing investment needs related to improving the sustainability of fishery sector
- Conducting training seminars with the fishing community regarding the fishery legislation in force and specific regulations from other fields affecting the development of the sector (environment, tourism, territory planning, fiscal and tax policy, etc.)
- Preparing and delivering public events on the need to protect the marine wealth
- Assessing the investment climate in the sector, drafting the necessary financing instruments and preparing the application guidelines for the support to the sector
- Drawing out a fishing port development plan for a pilot area
- The strategic documents and legislation concerning fisheries are aligned with the budgetary plan and government priorities; they are implemented and monitored through performance indicators
- A sufficiently staffed fisheries administration disposes of the appropriate systems and capacity to implement and monitor the policy measures as drawn in the strategic documents
- The capacity of the inspection service to combat illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing is improved in coordination with other involved agencies
- The exploitation of the fishery resources is more sustainable
- The public awareness about the role of stakeholders in the fisheries sector in the protection of natural resources is increased
- The economic performance of marine fishing fleet is improved