Ministry of Development Funds and Regional Policy of Poland (MFiPR), Albanian Road Authority (ARA)
October 2019 – October 2021
To contribute towards the elaboration of an efficient transport system, integrated in the region and in the EU network, which promotes the economic development and citizens’ good quality of life, by focusing on the road transport governance and standards.
Summary of the Project
The project increased the capacities of the Albanian Road Authority (ARA) in applying good governance practices for planning, managing, procuring, implementing
and maintaining road investments in full alignment with the EU standards and best practices.
- Analysis of the relevant legal acts and the ARA’s internal procedures concerning procurement of works in terms of their compliance with corresponding EU regulations and standards.
- Drafting proposals of necessary amendments to the adequate Albanian legal regulations and ARA’s internal public procurement procedures.
- Training of all relevant staff to manage all phases of road designs and studies.
- Training on public consultations and promotion of the infrastructure projects.
- Analysis of various options in restructuring of ARA in line with EU directives and policy and provision of a new business model towards transformation of ARA into a “self-financing agency”.
- Workshops on the recommendations concerning life-cycle management through appropriate planning, programming, delivery of road works and performance management frameworks for road network assets and ARA’s structure and organisation.
- Training of relevant personnel on preparation of the key business processes and their relations with ARA’s directorates.
- Preparing ARA Network Safety Ranking for identifying, analyzing and classifying parts of the existing road network according to their potential for safety development and accident cost savings.
- Elaborating ARA Road Safety Ranking Manual and catalog of typical road safety schemes.
- Providing training and Road Safety Ranking on ARA road network.
- Study visits in Poland and in neighboring countries.
- EU standards on road construction are adopted and used in the procurement of works by ARA.
- ARA internal procedures, structures, systems and methodologies are enhanced.
- Road safety in the National Road Network in Albania is enhanced.