Municipality of Përmet
Urban Research Institute (URI)
The overall objective is to improve access to socio- economic development and employment opportunities and facilities in communities vulnerable to cannabis cultivation and trafficking.
Summary of the Project
This action aims to increase the public awareness against cannabis in area of Përmet, especially to young people or families living under economic aid or unemployed. Through this project, Municipality of Përmet will focus on introduction and support to this target group to an alternative as farming activities. Medicinal aromatic plants are identified as most opportune farm activity to improve the socio economic development of this area.
The main activities are as follows:
- Establish and formalize a cluster of 20 farmer families
- Training of farmer families and families under economic aid on the best techniques on cultivating Medicinal Aromatic Plants (MAP)
- A Memorandum of Agreement between Municipality and farmers to be engaged in the MAP cultivation signed
- Establish contracts between the private agent for buying the farmers collection and farmers signed
- Purchase of one vehicle for the transportation of MAP purchased and MAP drying machinery
- Restore the municipal facility that fill serve for the storage of the MAP
- 5 hectares of land cultivated with rosa-canina and other MAPs
- Establish a Lab for production of cosmetic products set up and operational
- Capacity building activities on production and promotion of artisanal cosmetic products,
- Support the cultivation of rosa-canina and other medicinal aromatic plants,
- Support young man and women with primary and/or secondary education and unemployed women,
- Increase public awareness against cannabis cultivation and trafficking, with particular attention to villages affected by cannabis cultivation.