• Macedonian Red Cross – Branch Organization Ohrid (Ohrid Red Cross)
• The National Centre for the Environment, Tourism and Sustainable Development (NCETSD) from Tirana
November 2017 - October 2019
The project aims to contribute to the development of adventure tourism in the Lake Ohrid cross-border region by increasing the safety of domestic and foreign visitors.
Summary of the Project
The project established two rescue centers for land and water rescue in order to create efficient interventions in cases of emergency on land and water – Mountain rescue centre in Ohrid and Water rescue center in Pogradec. It promoted the Lake Ohrid region, as a safe destination for adventure travel.
• Re-adapting and renovating an existing Red Cross building to be used as a Centre for the Mountain Rescue Service
• Equipping the mountain and water rescue services with specialised equipment for individual and collective use
• Establishment of a 24/7 SOS service for mountain rescue
• Development and publication of promotional materials for the rescue centres
• Organisation of trainings and other capacity building measures to reach international standards in mountain and water rescue
• The cecessary infrastructure for two rescue centres (land and water) is provided
• The procedures and standards for the rescue systems in the Lake Ohrid cross-border region are defined and agreed
• Trainers and rescuers for water and mountain rescue are trained according to international standards
• Tourism-related service providers and domestic and foreign tourists are aware and use the new rescue services
• The basis for a cross-border partnership and network for risk management in tourism is established