Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure (MEI), its National Agency for Water Supply Sewerage and Waste (AKUM)
selected municipal Water Supply and Sewerage Utilities
February 2020 - 2028
The project’s overall objective is to contribute to economic, social, environmental, and territorial development, as well as tourism attractiveness.
Summary of the Project
The project is part of the Water Performance & Investment Infrastructure Programme, a large sector Investment and Performance Programme co-financed by the EU, KfW and Swiss Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO). It will provide improved water supply and sewerage infrastructure to the population in the selected municipalities, as well as strengthen the management of the sector both at local and national levels.
The EU grant funding will blend the KfW loan and grant and the SECO grant, thus increasing EU leverage on the sector development. EU funding will in particular increase access to municipal wastewater collection and treatment towards a compliance with the EU acquis and legislation; it will enhance the sustainability of wastewater utilities and of the sector in general.
• Accompanying support measures to municipal utilities
• Support to AKUM for management and capacity building
• Support measures to the national institutional and operational framework
• Implementation of investment in water supply, sewerage and waste water treatment plants infrastructures in priority municipalities and areas
• Technical assistance for the design and supervision of infrastructures works
• Communication and outreach activities towards the public and targeted groups
- Enhanced sustainability of municipal utilities and of the sector with improved planning, operation and maintenance and integrity management and climate resilience
- Improved and affordable access of populations to safe water supply, sewerage service and waste water treatment monitored according to the EU directives