- The Managing Authority of European Territorial Cooperation Programmes of the Ministry of Economy, Development, and Tourism in Thessaloniki, Greece
1/03/2018 - 28/05/2020
To preserve and promote cultural resources as a prerequisite for tourism development in the cross-border area.
Summary of the Project
The cross-border area lacks adequate planning and management of the promotion of its cultural and architectural heritage to tourists.
The project was focused on developing an innovative thematic cross-border cultural route for tourists. The nodes of this path were primarily the historical buildings of special architectural and cultural value, associated with the historical figures of the area.
- 4 infrastructure projects leading to the rehabilitation of buildings of special architectural and cultural value: “Kaplanios” historical Housekeeping School building at Grammeno, Zitsa; “Tsanaka” historical building and former Cinema building at Metsovo; “Avni Rustemi” House Museum in Libohove, Gjirokaster
- 1 marketing plan for a Cross- Border Cultural Touristic Path
- 1 trilingual cross-border web GIS platform for cultural and tourist services
- 2 multimedia applications/e-libraries of cross-border cultural assets
- 1 trilingual informational brochure “Cultural Heritage in Epirus and Gjirokastra”
- Thematic registration to the National Intangible Cultural Heritage Index (UNESCO, Art.12)
- 1 thematic database of the methodologies, technologies, tools related to best cultural preservation practices
- 2 joint thematic workshops for building know-how and capacity-building in the field of smart cultural preservation
- Two sustainability studies of the project results (one in Greece and one in Albania)
- A thematic cross-border cultural path is developed, consisting of buildings and other cultural assets of high architectural and cultural value, leading to numerous visitors and tourism growth
- 500 visits to supported sites and attractions and 0,1 millions overnight stays a year in the cross-border area
- Modernised and refurbished “Kaplanios” historical Housekeeping School building at Grammeno in Zitsa, Epirus; conserved and modernised surrounding area
- Modernised “Tsanaka” historical building and refurbished former Cinema building at Metsovo, Epirus
- Restored “Avni Rustemi” House Museum in Libohove, Gjirokaster